Back when most of us were practicing our bo staff katas in front of the mirror and/or dabbling in Samoan Bone Breaking, Mario Sperry aka Ze Mario was making a name for himself in the world of BJJ and MMA. Sperry has pretty much written the book on BJJ and Vale Tudo/MMA and his accomplishments and contributions to our sport are numerous.
I'll name a few notable Sperry facts that will almost certainly bring out your inner sissy and make you feel inferior (despite the great strides you are making with your deep halfguard):
- Carlson Gracie Black Belt.
- 3X CBJJ World Champ.
- 4X ADCC World Champ (including 2 superfight victories).
- 1st fighter ever to submit a Gracie (Royler).
- Co-Founder of Brazilian Top Team (with Murilo Bustamante).
- PRIDE fighting veteran (with a victory over Igor Vovchanchyn).
Our very own UK correspondent and photographer extraordinaire, John Sherwood, caught up with Ze Mario the day after his historic superfight with Renzo Gracie (Sperry won on points). He's a gentleman and a true warrior - everything we strive to be.
Many thanks to John for the great interview skillery (and to our own DEMOLISHER for the always great edit).